Realms replacement

After the intro of realms, we have been using that off and on for my family. My MineOS has been sitting unused for a year now. But I want to try and replicate that idea on MineOS. Im not sure if I want to do something like Hypixel, thehive, swagcraft, and many others where there is a Hub to each of the games. Or the realms where you turn off one and turn another on. This is again going to be played with mostly my wife and kids and a few of their friends, so trying to do the realms seems to be the easiest as they would just have to goto the website and turn it on and off. While realms has it in the client itself.
That also means I have to learn how to get the mini games working as I had some issues when I first tried to get them to work.

Any ideas or threads that I didnt find while doing a quick forum search would be amazing.

Hi.
First of: Good luck. Replacing Realms with your own server is a huge step. It also means taking over all the work that are being done for you in the background with realms. I guess you allready kinda know that, since you ask specifically for advice on minigames.

You have two main type of minecraft servers:

1. The one based on the official “vanilla” server from mojang for PC, Mac and linux
  2. The ones made to allow Minecraft Pocket Edition to connect (the version for Win10(appstore), tabs, and phones)

For Pocket Edition I am afraid we only have bad news: There are no real solution. There exists no official server software outside Realms. You have all the different pocketmine editions (that strugle to keep up with mojangs changes), but they all lack a lot of features (most notably AI for mobs and villagers). Here you are in effect locked to a standard light-vanilla world with creative only.

For the PC/Mac/LInux versions you have three solutions:

1. Vanilla with pregenerated worlds
  2. Bukkit / Spigot style world (runs plugins)
  3. FTB-style wolrld (runs mods)

The three different have several forum posts in here that describe how to install and set up, all depending on what you want.

1 Like

You have two main type of minecraft servers:

1. The one based on the official “vanilla” server from mojang for PC, Mac and linux
  2. The ones made to allow Minecraft Pocket Edition to connect (the version for Win10(appstore), tabs, and phones)

I didnt even think about the Pocket editions. Those are not on my servers at all.
The people that will be on my server will be the computer versions (windows/mac/linux).

For the PC/Mac/LInux versions you have three solutions:

1. Vanilla with pregenerated worlds
  2. Bukkit / Spigot style world (rund plugins)
  3. FTB-style wolrld (rouns mods)

I would like Vanilla worlds if at all possible.
Im just not sure if you can do capture the flag, quake, sand runner, and the like in vanilla.

I just didnt take the time to do the website access so that someone outside my network could make the changes.

I guess I could just preconfigure the games and worlds, and limit only one world/game to be running through the mineos web ui.

Hi again.
Then what you have to do is:

1. create a new world.
  2. start it so that all needed files are created
  3. stop it
  4. download a precreated world, and use the world files downloaded to overwrite everything in the “world” directory
  5. start the server again.

You can download pre-made maps from, for example, here: https://www.minecraftworldmap.com/browse/1/mostdownloads

Example of a Capture the flag world: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/maps/1553063-pvp-ctf-capture-the-flag-vanilla-ice-1-7-2-v2

Keep in mind that vanilla servers have little configuration options available for spesific types of gameplay, but using forced “adventure” mode, and strict controll over op and admin access inside the world, you do fine :slight_smile:

I would also make a separate world for each tye of game you want, that way you do not have to modify the servers each time you wish to change game type. You just start or stop the ones you want. Using different port numbers for your game you may also run several servers at the same time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those pre-made map options are quite nice, actually–the best part is you can download those .zip files directly to /var/games/minecraft/import and then use the “Import a Server” option to bring them directly into your webui. So even better, the steps are:

1. download a pre-made map/world
  2. move the full .zip file to /var/games/minecraft/import
  3. In the webui, in the “Import a Server” page, click “Create Server from Archive”
  4. Accept the eula and attach a vanilla profile (or whichever profile you want) and hit start!
1 Like