[Solved] FTB StoneBlock2 Won't start on turnkey mineos

For some reason StoneBlock 2 will not start. It started for like 2 seconds then wouldn’t start at all. i have clicked the FTB install button still nothing happened.

mineos.log

Any help is great.

I have attempted to integrate into the webui as much of the external processes to install FTB packs as I can, but there are unfortunately a) FTB packs that deviate from my tested FTB packs and b) other unforeseen/unseen issues that make the webui not succeed.

There are two parts to running an FTB server: 1) downloading installing vanilla Minecraft and 2) run the appropriate FTB server jar. The webui attempts to do both, but it is likely failing at #1.

In these cases, we need to go back to the basics and step away from the webui entirely, for both #1 and #2. Once #1 is done, it is done forever. Then we can just go back to the webui, change a dropdown, and #2 is done.

All steps that FTB requires are usually documented in the downloaded archive, usually in the form of a README or installer script. All these steps are meant to be executed from the command-line; so that’s where we should start.

1. log into the command line as the same user from the webui (this should NOT be root, and is often mc).
  2. locate the files as they are placed on the filesystem. By MineOS convention, these files were extracted to /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21. cd to this directory.
  3. run ls -la. Check that all the files and directories within are owned by mc:mc. If these files are not owned by mc, but instead root, it means you logged into the webui as root and this will botch things up. (mc is an “unprivileged user” and cannot modify files if they are created/owned by root).
  4. As mc, run the installer script. Depending on the pack–it could likely be called FTBInstall.sh, but it might not be. OR there might be additional files that are expected to be run. (FTBInstall.bat can be ignored)
  5. FTBInstall.sh is very straightforward, which is why I attempted to build this into the webui. Usually it downloads a jarfile “FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2796-universal.jar” as well as the correct, corresponding Minecraft vanilla jarfile (minecraft_server.1.12.1.jar).

It’s here where things are going wrong in the webui, so this is the part where we need to forget the webui exists, and attempt to get the server jars downloaded and running from the command line only.

Check the output to these steps for errors. Basically look out for minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar to be downloaded, as well as FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2796-universal.jar. If these files don’t exist after running the shell script, then we also know why the webui wasn’t able to run.

Once you have identified where the scripts were failing, we should be able to get the actual server running from the command line. If it runs from the command line, we’re done and we can return to the webui to tell it to run the server from then on.

Try running the server:

java -jar FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2796-universal.jar nogui

It should start. You should see all the normal Minecraft log entries across your screen. If this works (and you’re mc) then it’s fixed; kill the server (stop or CTRL-C) and go to the webui. From the webui, change the dropdown to FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2796-universal.jar and you’re set (no more command line necessary).

If the server didn’t start here, the problem is still here in command line, so copy/paste your output errors for us to help parse.

1 Like

Thanks for the help but I’m still having issues.
I have connected to the server by putty and tried the things you have said but im getting permission issues when trying to run the files.

log

I’m hoping you can help me with this :grinning: @hexparrot

could this be related to my issue with the java settings thing?

Permission errors are thrown because the user doesn’t have +x permissions (executable). Two fixes:

sh FTBInstall.sh

OR

chmod +x FTBInstall.sh
./FTBInstall.sh

Gives me a good idea. I wonder if MineOS has been failing to execute this for the same reason it rejected yours (lacking `+x). I’ll check up on this.

i think we are getting closer but it still not yet starting

putty log

stoneblock2 log

stoneblock2 debug

mineos log

I see that you ran this:

mc@furryfriends .../servers/stoneblock21$ ./ServerStart.sh
Starting server

But also that the server never started. Remember, MineOS basically does ./ServerStart.sh for you–if it’s not working when you use the tool directly from the command line, then the problem lies in the FTB pack itself.

Farther down in the logs I see things like this:

[19:27:49] [main/ERROR] [LaunchWrapper]: Unable to launch
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: null
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_181]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_181]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_181]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_181]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_181]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_181]

Are you able to confirm that the server pack you downloaded is a working release? Did they provide any further instruction on launching, e.g., memory minimums or particular versions of Java? Is the launcher expecting a windowing system for a point-and-click interface?

It was a beta one for stoneblock 2 1.1.1 but I grabbed the new full release one stoneblock 2 1.2.0. Ran it on my pc once and filezilla it to the server. Then deleted the beta one and I’m switching the owner/group from root to mc right now. I have also changed the ram to 6 gigs instead of the small 2 it had set. I will have to restart the server to see if it is in the right group after I’m done. I know some things about linux so this is simple to do from command line but it is long and boring. lol I will post after this if it worked.

nope it worked on my pc but it failed on my server.

crash log

putty log

How about this, since it worked on your PC now you can just copy over the working copy and then boom it should just work from there on out once the correct jar file is selected in the web ui afterwards.

That is what I did but it is not working on the server once I moved it to the server

Once you move the files over, you need to select the jar file that isn’t the vanilla Minecraft server jar, you need to select the forge Minecraft server jar. Examining the script included also can help point/lead you in the right direction or at the very least also provide hints for your selections in the Web UI.

Did you even look at the log file? If you did you see I used this command from the command line :

Java -jar FTBserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2796-universal.jar nogui

I have linked all log files I have generated.

Plus when I did use the GUI web page it to start the mc server it locked up the server when the mc server crashed.

In order for the whole system to lock up that’d mean you assigned way too much RAM than what is available to the server, but based upon logs I find the “permission denied” for file access to be off, you never ran it as root right? (You may also create an archive and link to it and I’ll take a look directly at the files themselves, nullify permissions and etc so that it should just work once linked back).

The server has 16gb of RAM and no other mc server was running so I can rule off the running out of RAM unless mineos runs on 11 gb of RAM by itself. Unless 2048m in the file means 2058gb which I highly doubtful. I ran it as “mc” user never ran it as root.

All the same, permissions seems to be a prominent issue in your error logs.

Caused by: codechicken.lib.configuration.ConfigFile$ConfigException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21/config/avaritia.cfg (Permission denied)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21/config/avaritia.cfg (Permission denied)
2019-01-24 02:12:04,330 main ERROR Cannot access RandomAccessFile java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/latest.log (Permission denied) java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/latest.log (Permission denied)
2019-01-24 02:12:04,345 main ERROR Cannot access RandomAccessFile java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/debug.log (Permission denied) java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/debug.log (Permission denied)
2019-01-24 02:12:08,157 main ERROR Cannot access RandomAccessFile java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/latest.log (Permission denied) java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/latest.log (Permission denied)
2019-01-24 02:12:08,165 main ERROR Cannot access RandomAccessFile java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/debug.log (Permission denied) java.io.FileNotFoundException: logs/debug.log (Permission denied)
[02:12:13] [main/ERROR] [BetterFps]: Could not save the config file
java.io.FileNotFoundException: config/betterfps.json (Permission denied)
[02:12:27] [Server thread/ERROR] [LLibrary Core]: Failed to save debug patched class for net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer
java.io.FileNotFoundException: llibrary/debug/net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.class (Permission denied)
[02:12:33] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR]: [com.setycz.chickens.common.LogUtil:setup:122]: java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./logs/chickens/chickens-latest.log (Permission denied)
[02:12:51] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: Error while saving config /config/enderio/enderio.cfg.
java.io.IOException: Permission denied
[02:12:51] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: Error while saving config /config/enderio/enderio.cfg.
java.io.IOException: Permission denied
Caused by: codechicken.lib.configuration.ConfigFile$ConfigException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21/config/avaritia.cfg (Permission denied)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21/config/avaritia.cfg (Permission denied)

These occurences of Permission Denied are in line with the thought that there is improper ownership of these files. There’s also a pattern that many of these files would not be created by Vanilla, which means the ls -la you show where the files are all mc:mc makes sense that mc was the user that created them, but another user (perhaps sudo'd?) created the other files farther in the structure.

Of course, easy to confirm what Java is saying the issue is:

ls -la /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21/config
ls -la /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21/logs

Let us know what you see, and then we can use that to finally solve this.
If it’s not all mc:mc here (or even if it is, we just need another chown.

0.0 there is a bunch that still have root owner/group files and folders.

Ok I tried to do it brute force way but I had to give up and found the right option to do all the files at once.

putty log

root@furryfriends .../minecraft/servers# chown -r mc:mc stoneblock21
chown: invalid option -- 'r'

Just needed to capitalize the R

chown -R mc:mc /var/games/minecraft/servers/stoneblock21