[SOLVED] Fresh MineOS install on FreeNAS jail fails to start

I’m running FreeNAS 9.10.2-U4 (FreeBSD 10.3). I created a fresh jail and used the FreeBSD install directions with a minor modification to properly mount linprocfs from the FreeNAS host. However, when MineOS starts up it immediately fails with this error in mineos.log:

{“level”:“info”,“message”:“Starting up server, using commit: f9b1207 added dockerfile\n”,“timestamp”:“2017-06-10T14:41:56.469Z”}
{“date”:“Sat Jun 10 2017 10:41:57 GMT-0400 (EDT)”,“process”:{“pid”:70985,“uid”:0,“gid”:0,“cwd”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft”,“execPath”:“/usr/local/bin/node”,“version”:“v7.10.0”,“argv”:[“/usr/local/bin/node”,“/usr/local/games/minecraft/webui.js”],“memoryUsage”:{“rss”:55263232,“heapTotal”:33484800,“heapUsed”:13766104,“external”:356679}},“os”:{“loadavg”:[0.32470703125,0.263671875,0.189453125],“uptime”:1119581},“trace”:[{“column”:29,“file”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft/server.js”,“function”:null,“line”:96,“method”:null,“native”:false},{“column”:16,“file”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/async/lib/async.js”,“function”:null,“line”:52,“method”:null,“native”:false},{“column”:30,“file”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/async/lib/async.js”,“function”:null,“line”:1209,“method”:null,“native”:false},{“column”:20,“file”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js”,“function”:“ReadFileContext.callback”,“line”:215,“method”:“callback”,“native”:false},{“column”:13,“file”:“fs.js”,“function”:“FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]”,“line”:359,“method”:“readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]”,“native”:false}],“stack”:[“TypeError: Cannot read property ‘MemAvailable’ of undefined”," at /usr/local/games/minecraft/server.js:96:29"," at /usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16"," at /usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1209:30"," at ReadFileContext.callback (/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js:215:20)“,” at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete] (fs.js:359:13)"],“level”:“error”,“message”:“uncaughtException: Cannot read property ‘MemAvailable’ of undefined”,“timestamp”:“2017-06-10T14:41:57.466Z”}

Any tips on how to troubleshoot or fix this? Thanks.

Jurgen Saegart on the FreeNAS forum was able to independently reproduce this problem. It’s almost certainly a bug introduced by commit 878043b “changed memfree to memavailable in webui”. I reverted my git repo to commit cc4dac5 “made masking toggling easier” and rebuilt, and now MineOS starts just fine.

It’s hugely disappointing that the procfs-stats module does not unilaterally work across all distributions. I’ll be making a commit soon to detect the failure in the property MemAvailable and to fallback gracefully in response.

Cool, let me know when it’s committed and I’ll switch back to HEAD to verify the fix.

I made the commit today–it should check if procfs-stats provides the value, and falls back to the original os.memfree. For your case, it should return to exactly the behavior prior to the break.

Sorry but no banana. The latest version crashes like this:

{“date”:“Mon Jun 12 2017 20:49:22 GMT-0400 (EDT)”,“process”:{“pid”:58055,“uid”:0,“gid”:0,“cwd”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft”,“execPath”:"
/usr/local/bin/node",“version”:“v7.10.0”,“argv”:[“/usr/local/bin/node”,“/usr/local/games/minecraft/webui.js”],“memoryUsage”:{“rss”:69496
832,“heapTotal”:37679104,“heapUsed”:22604744,“external”:292070}},“os”:{“loadavg”:[0.44482421875,0.21923828125,0.181640625],“uptime”:1042
32},“trace”:[{“column”:69,“file”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft/server.js”,“function”:null,“line”:96,“method”:null,“native”:false},{“column
“:16,“file”:”/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/async/lib/async.js”,“function”:null,“line”:52,“method”:null,“native”:false},{“colum
n”:30,“file”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/async/lib/async.js”,“function”:null,“line”:1209,“method”:null,“native”:false},{“co
lumn”:20,“file”:“/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js”,“function”:“ReadFileContext.callback”,“line”:215,“method
“:“callback”,“native”:false},{“column”:13,“file”:“fs.js”,“function”:“FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]”,“line”:359,“method”:“r
eadFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete]”,“native”:false}],“stack”:[“TypeError: os.memfree is not a function”,” at /usr/local/games/minecraft
/server.js:96:69”," at /usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:52:16"," at /usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modu
les/async/lib/async.js:1209:30"," at ReadFileContext.callback (/usr/local/games/minecraft/node_modules/procfs-stats/index.js:215:20)"
," at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterOpen [as oncomplete] (fs.js:359:13)"],“level”:“error”,“message”:“uncaughtException: os.memfree is not a
function”,“timestamp”:“2017-06-13T00:49:22.258Z”}

I am so hideously embarrassed to have made the typo of os.memfree() vs os.freemem().

Embarrassed mostly because that’s evidence of a lack of thorough reproducing and error then testing. I just have no words for this recklessness :frowning:

That said, the latest commit should resolve this. Still couldn’t test it (but I sure as hell hope I shouldn’t need to…I don’t really want to have to wait till I return back from my trip to solve such an easy issue). If you would, go ahead and try it again.

Soz.

No worries, it happens. Looks like mineos-node HEAD is now working again, hooray!

Trying to understand the issue.

I just had to reinstall FreeNAS after a slight HTTPS certificate misshap locking me out of my system and when I reinstalled MineOS it wouldn’t start the server.

Tinkering around I realized a new Minecraft version 1.12 was made public in the meantime causing my grief while the prior one 1.11.2 launches just fine.

I assume this conversation refers to this issue or am I looking at an entirely different problem?

That’s likely a different issue - Minecraft 1.12 requires Java 8, so you do need to have openjdk8-jre installed. If you are still having problems I would post a different thread. If you’ve updated to the latest MineOS-node release, this problem is gone. It was only present in the git repo for the last 2 weeks or so.

Should installing the latest MineOS-node also fix it for FreeNAS 9.10? ( not yet on 9.10.2, in case it matters )
Like I said, I had to reinstall FreeNAS and with it MineOS so I’d assume it downloaded the latest version of it too.