[ARCADETEST-1] start failed

I AM USING: MineOS Node

It’s not working! I did “chmod -R 777 /var/games/minecraft” so that one of my accounts can have write access in there. Now the WebUI start/stop buttons don’t work. I tried rebooting, but now all the servers are stopped and won’t start. It’s like I’m paralyzed. Can someone help?

What does your /var/log/mineos.log say?

I just realized what the problem was. The server folder did not have public write permissions. Do you know how to make folders and items create with permission number 777 by default?

I’d recommend against 777, public shouldn’t have editing access. I’d suggest 775 instead.

OK, but how do you make the file permissions do that by default?

It’s recommended that you leave the chmod permissions alone. When it comes to giving permissions to additional users for servers, do so through the group membership mechanism.

So, for example, I might create a server called asdf, owned by user will. In the filesystem, it’ll look like this:

drwxrwxr-x 2 will will 4096 Jul 7 16:25 asdf/

In the web-ui, I’ll log in as will, and from the server status page, I can change the group owner to a secondary group, such as admins (a made-up group you’ve joined via the addgroup and usermod Linux commands). Then, I have this:

drwxrwxr-x 2 will admins 4096 Jul 7 16:25 asdf/

Now, I can add users bob and trustedusers to supplementary group admins (see usermod). All users of group admins can now log in with their username and password, start, stop the server, run commands, etc.

Note, I have very recently did some commits to finalize the functionality of user/group ownership, so please update your webui files first.