After updating the WebUI I am unable to login

Trying to log in as MC and am getting this error

Error: unsupported charset “UTF-8” at /usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:72:15 at done (/usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/body-parser/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:248:14) at /usr/games/minecraft/node_modules/body-parser/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:226:7 at process._tickCallback (node.js:355:11)

I have made no changes to any files other than adding servers which are still up and running fine.

dear carstorm,

i have to assume you still have root.

if so, please run to check if it helps:

cd /usr/games/minecraft
git fetch
git reset --hard origin/master
rm -rf node_modules
npm install
chmod +x mineos_console.js

then:

apt-get update
reboot

good luck!

tNt

I’m guessing you’re getting this error from the /var/log/mineos.log? It’s not clear where you’re getting these errors or whether this is the only error you’re getting.

Please follow @tnt’s steps to reset your webui, or for posterity, you can follow the instructions from the wiki (and bookmark it)

Already had that page bookmarked. The error I posted came from the console.
This is my output of the shell. http://pastebin.com/Cr2FY2JP After doing what TNT sugessted. I can now get in no problem. I saw in the above output there was some warnings out outdated files. I did “apt- get upgrade” but there was nothing and since I was able to log in, I’m going to guess that the warnings aren’t too inportant.

(current: {“node”:“0.12.15”,“npm”:“2.15.1”})

Here’s a problem. You’re using a pre-release version of node. You need version 4.0 or later (4.0 is the designation given to the first stable release).

It may run, but I wouldn’t expect it to go without problems when using such an outdated version. Almost all of the npm modules MineOS uses have been updated for 4.0 so if there is unexpected behaviors going forward, this will need to be fixed first.

Ahh, ok. I made the install CD from one of the ISOs I got from you site but it was probably a year+ ago. How would I go about updating that. Can I do an in place upgrade /o having to reinstall the entire OS?

Yes, it most certainly is possible. Most circumstances will not require a re-installation of the operating system itself. However, it does depend on your familiarity with installing software.

If you feel comfortable removing software from Linux, and then installing the newer versions, that will most certainly work–if you feel comfortable and competent to do so.

To give you the broad strokes, you’re looking to uninstall nodejs and then reinstall it from a 4.x version available from nodesource.

Uninstalling will be done via apt-get. I’m specifically not providing the full, copy/paste instructions because doing so would encourage copy/pasting and discourage a better, more in-depth understanding of how each small component in Linux can be changed independently.

Once node has been removed, it can be added using the actual instructions provided in the wiki linked above, and then you should reset the webui.

These steps are do-able by Linux novices, but depending on your own familiarity and confidence to execute this, it is also plausible to just download a new ISO and install from there, which includes not only a more recent version of Node, but also a more recent version of Java (1.8).

1 Like

I already uninstalled the default openjdk7 that came on the iso and installed oracle Java 8 so I should be able to do. Thank You for telling me the general steps and links to get started.

I have updated and reset the webui, for some reason I still can’t use the convenience script. Also unless I misreading it, its now asking for nodejs 5 instead of 4.5? Here is the shell output: http://pastebin.com/1A24eXS3

/bin/bash is a binary file, not a directory. And if you want to use the install or reset script, you must go in the /usr/games/minecraft directory and make sure that the desired script is executable (chmod +x FILE). Then you can execute ./reset_webui.sh or ./update_webui.sh as root.