HOW TO: install MINEOS-NODE on UBUNTU SERVER 14.04.2

How to install MineOS Node on Ubuntu Server 14.04.2 clean install
I am running a VM with 2GB RAM and 2 CPU cores.

This may work on other versions of Ubuntu but I have not tested your mileage may vary (YMMV).

I did a clean install of the Ubuntu server. I will assume you only have console access (just in case some of you start that way for some reason).

elpres@ubuntu:~$

from here you want to make sure you have sudo available, you can just type sudo and press enter and it should either say command not found or it’ll spit out how to use sudo.

If you don’t have sudo you’ll have to know the root password and log in using root. You can use su from your account to get to a root login or just logout and login.

Commands to run

PART 1) Get ssh access -

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

After this you can ssh into your server – get the ip by typing

ifconfig | grep “inet addr”

hopefully you only have two listed and it will be the address that is not 127.0.0.1
You should be able to ssh into your server now, which is what I am going to do.

So, now we are SSH’d into the server you can proceed to part 2.

PART 2) install mineos-node -

sudo apt-get install -y nodejs nodejs-legacy npm git rdiff-backup screen openjdk-7-jre-headless
sudo mkdir –p /usr/games
cd /usr/games
sudo git clone https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node.git minecraft
cd minecraft
sudo chmod +x generate-sslcert.sh
sudo ./generate-sslcert.sh
sudo npm install --all

PART 3) start mineos automatically on startup -
While you can do this, it is recommended to start the webui manually for testing and bug reporting purposes
MANUAL START COMMANDS-

cd /usr/games/minecraft
sudo node webui.js

AUTOMATIC/ START ON BOOT COMMANDS-

sudo cp /usr/games/minecraft/init/upstart_conf /etc/init/mineos.conf
sudo start mineos

CONGRATULATIONS – mineos node is now installed and should be working on your Ubuntu 14.04.2 system, access your web ui at https://youriphere:8443
e.g.

https://192.168.196.131:8443/
2 Likes

There seems to be a problem at the time of this writing that your first server created on mineos-node will not appear in the webui.

go to your console and type

sudo restart mineos

after that everything should be fine.

Would you mind creating a guide on how to convert current systems that contain the old web UI to MineOS Node? The documentation you provide could be reused once MineOS Node is finalized to transition servers.

While it’s trivial to do a fresh install a lot of Admin including myself have a lot of other programs and specific configurations that aid in running a Minecraft Server. It would be simpler for those in my situation to image a backup then remove the old UI and commence testing.

Isn’t that pre-installed? I haven’t seen a case where it wasn’t(especially with hosts)

I’ve never seen it pre-installed, though you can easily install it during the initial installation process by selecting ‘openssh server’ in one of the very last configuration screens.

I may look at this in the future, I would assume that the process would be

shutdown all servers
backup all servers and copy tar.gz different directory (just in case)
sudo service mineos stop (if i remember correctly)
sudo rm /usr/games/minecraft
sudo rm /etc/init.d/mineos
sudo rm /etc/init.d/minecraft

Then follow the directions to install new one, hopefully it picks up everything and just works but in case it doesn’t you can always import the backups you made.

depends where,how you are, and who is installing. Better to have it then not, as on a machine that already has it it will just say it’s up to date or update it.

That’s true.<lol the char limit is a joke

I am using the Ubuntu server in Oracle Virtual Box.
I couldn’t work out how to SHH in, the IP (10.0.2.15) didn’t work (newbie right here, I’m probably doing something wrong).

Anyways when I tried
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs nodejs-legacy npm git rdiff-backup screen openjdk-7-jre-headless

I got

0 upgraded, 126 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded. 2 not fully installed or removed. Need to get 89.0 MB of archives. After this operation, 231 MB of additional disk space will be used. E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

I have the virtual HDD set to dynamic, so there should be plenty space. What’s going wrong?

Can you verify you actually have enough space with the df command?

Otherwise, in googling your error, there’s this askubuntu post which will help you clear out unneeded installation package (which is different from the files it actually places within your file system).